Saturday, April 26, 2008

Frenzied Winner



I won Script Frenzy today as my screenplay edged over 100 pages. Wow! I wrote a 100 page screenplay in under 30 days. For writers, this is like an Olympic sport. The discipline. The endurance. The thoughts grinding away in my head. It's some small satisfaction for me at least. I think I enter these online writing contests to nudge myself into action. So many people say they're going to write something and eventually don't. The key to being a writer is writing.
At a comic book convention in 2002 I met Kevin Smith. Fanboy geek I am, I waited in line for him to autograph a copy of his screenplays for Clerks and Chasing Amy. I told him I was writing a screenplay and he encouraged me.
"Do it," he said.
He told an audience of aspiring filmmakers and Smith fanboys that whenever he has writer's block, he just writes through it. That's really all you can do. Just write through it or plan a scene in your head or think about a detail or aspect of it. It's better than just doing nothing and talking about something you're planning to write.

1 comment:

Captain Common Sense said...

Congrats to you! I knew that you could do it! I can't wait to read it, so get it into a PDF or send me the .doc. Don't bother with the mail, the way the post office works up here, you would think that every letter was addressed to the Vorlon Command Ship with the address "Beyond the Rim"