Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Song of Thanksgiving

This year has been a nonstop shitfest, a series of really bad months. If it were a movie, it'd be directed by Wes Craven. We're talking colossal fucking horror show, folks.

Illness, financial misfortune and a forced eviction from our apartment.

And yet...I can't help but be thankful. It's not the Hallmark card, maudlin emotions leading me to this conclusion. Despite being treated like God's spittoon, I am extremely grateful for the people in my life. Even this shitcloud has a silver lining, and it's imbued by the good people in my life who love me.

When you're standing in an apartment ruined by floodwater and most of your stuff is waterlogged, it kind of puts things into perspective. Most of my furniture, the necessary items, are gone. However, I'd be a quivering mass of gelatinous, blubbering custard if it wasn't for my girlfriend and parents. Their presence in my life enriches my existence. So props to Elnie and mom and dad.

I'm thankful for the career I still have in this turbulent economic climate. It might not be exotic, nor bestow upon me any accolades, but it's better to be pencil-pusher than living under a bridge.

I'm thankful for living in America. The good ol' U.S. of A. presents me with the freedom and opportunity to make my dreams real. America's success is measured by our participation. So dream big, dreamers!

Before I head to the table to overdose on tryptophan-laced turkey and cranberry sauce so good it would make the Olympian gods weep, I want to extend my thanks to you, the readers of this blog.
I don't know who you are, but I know someone reads this, somewhere on Earth. Thanks for humoring me and suffering through my angst and bullshit. I appreciate your time and attention.

No comments: