Friday, April 6, 2007

NJPA Award Night



Last night the New Jersey Press Association held its awards ceremony for the New Jersey 2006 Better Newspaper Contest. The banquet hall, at a hotel in Trenton, was filled with editors, reporters and photographers from all over the state. I haven't been to one of these awards ceremonies in years. When I win an award, they're usually sent to me. It was really fun to go and read all of the winning entries.
The company I work for, Sample Media, won seven editorial awards: three for photography, three for column writing and one (mine) for environmental writing. Woo-hoo!
For environmental writing in the larger weekly division, the winner was Montclair Times, followed by my stories on dredging in the Ocean City Sentinel. Third place went to New Jersey Jewish Week.
Here's what the judge said about my entry: "second place was extremely well written, easily digestible and well-reported." Okay, so I'm beaming because I got second place, but it is an accomplishment, considering the number of entries this year was very high. While I won first place awards in the past, I'll gladly take a second place now.

No comments: