Thursday, November 13, 2008

Back Story

About a month ago I had this really bad backache, with pain radiating down my right leg. I mean thermonuclear red hot knives hurting like Hell pain. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed Vicodin, and was told I had sciatica. After a visit to the doctor, an X-ray and an MRI of my back, I learned I am the owner of two herniated discs in my spine that has bulged through and touched the nerve in my back causing the sciatica. I really hate growing old.
Yesterday I had my first session of physical therapy. I haven't felt the kind of pain I felt in October, but I'm not out of the woods yet by any stretch.
Basically, I have to monitor any discomfort in my leg and back and continue with the physical therapy.
So I won't be running in any marathons in the foreseeable future.
I've had intermittent back pain throughout my life, but nothing this serious. What I don't want is back surgery or anything like that, but I was advised to talk to a neurologist if the pain returns.
Guess my dream of being an Olympic weight lifter is over.

1 comment:

mikechomko said...

I discovered your site when I clicked on a Google item you wrote about Rich Harvey's Pulp AdventureCon in Bordentown, NJ. Are you still interested in pulps?

If so, you might want to check out www.pulpfest.com. It's a larger version of Rich Harvey's pulp show.

I'm one of the PulpFest organizers, so I'd certainly be happy to see another new face at our convention. If you'd like further information, please write me at michaelchomko@rcn.com. Thanks

Mike Chomko