Thursday, February 8, 2007

Anna Nicole Smith



I don’t know why actress, Playboy Playmate and model Anna Nicole Smith died today. Details were sketchy when the Internet buzzed with the news this afternoon. She collapsed in a hotel in Hollywood, Florida. I don’t try and understand these things. I just report them. She was 39. I mean, I'm 37. That sure makes you think about your own mortality and how fragile life is, doesn't it?
The thing is, I wasn’t much of a Anna Nicole Smith fan. I thought her cable show was mindless fluff, I thought she was a gold digger for marrying billionaire J. Howard Marshall. She wasn’t even a great actress. Yeah, she lost a lot of weight on TrimSpa, but so what? Her 20-year old son died last October and she has an infant daughter. What a soap opera of a life!
What makes her so interesting, like it or not, was she was a Hollywood success story. She was born in Houston and dreamed of being the next Marilyn Monroe. She worked at a fast food restaurant, danced as a stripper and made it as a Playboy model. She became Playboy Playmate of the Year in 1993, had a few small acting roles and became a big-chested sex symbol.
So she was goofy and had the IQ of a walnut, but she never abandoned her dreams. That speaks volumes about her life.
Like Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield and several others before her, Anna Nicole Smith had a sad life and left this world too early.

No comments: