Monday, February 26, 2007

Award-winning Journalist

Just found out from my boss that I won second place in the Environmental Writing category in the New Jersey Press Association's 2006 Better Newspaper Contest. This is my seventh journalism award. I won my first one, the Lloyd P. Burns Memorial Ward for Responsible Journalism, in 1995. All in all, in the NJPA contest, won four first-place awards, two second place awards. I also won a third place in 1995 from the Society for Professional Journalists.
The news was very welcome, as I came down from a really bad weekend. I see it as a sign that I should do more with my job and with writing than trying to become some comedic wizard. Even though it's only a second place award, the story was about dredging in Ocean City, and was really well done, with two sidebars that went with the main story. I put a lot of time and effort into it and it showed. But I must remain humble, however. After all, someone else got the first place award.

No comments: