Monday, May 12, 2008

The Great Flood



Today the newspaper closed early because winds and high tides caused serious flooding in Ocean City. The parking lot at the paper filled with water, as did the neighborhood's streets. The police closed the bridges leading into town. Streets near the bay filled with water and cars sloshed through streets that appeared like rivers. Combine this with cold winds and rain and you get the ultimate in miserable weather.
I moved my car to an adjoining food store parking lot, which sits on higher ground. I reasoned it would be safe, but I had to drive through rising water and hope it didn't damage my car. I went into the food store, picked up some provisions, and slogged through flooded streets on foot. The water rose almost waist high down 10th Street and the gale force winds didn't make the journey easier. By the time I got home, my shoes and jeans were drenched.
High tide will last a few hours, and emergency vehicles patrolled the streets, which otherwise remained eerily empty. I've never experienced flooding like this before.

No comments: